Monday, November 17, 2008

Money grabbers

Herbal Life

So Herbal Life is cranking up their advertising here in Bolivia - it's pushed pass door to door salesmanship and made its way into my local newspaper and array of roadside billboards.

Direct selling and pyramid schemes aren't the only things that turn me off from these people. It's that crazed look in the eye when you get told how it "changed their life". It makes you wonder what really happens in their weekly motivation seminars (run with that). It's also the audacity of making so much money from something unnecessary, in a place where there isn't much money to go around in the first place (present in
69 countries, most of which are developing, because they're outlawed in places with more serious regulatory bodies). Right, because poor people need more synthetic nutrition & weight management drinks.

And there are 1.9 million independent distributors - oh, excuse me, "personal wellness experts." Whatever happened to the old, eat - sleep - work out moderately, recipe for health? I think Michael Pollan did a fantastic job of describing our food dilemmas in his book, "An Eater's Manifesto". We love to hate and hate to love food. So we buy other crap to replace it. What are people thinking?

That said, I should probably get down from my soapbox and start selling this stuff. They have some pretty cool cars, which are always parked outside of some pretty happening parties. And tans. I love me some tan...